Storms vs Rainbows

I have been trying to practice more mindfulness lately, and overall for the last several years, but intentionally being really 'in the moment' for the last few weeks. It's been getting easier and especially in moments I am enjoying, I stop and really try to absorb everything I am enjoying about that moment. Really having moments of bliss!


Like last night, because I am a sky addict, I love pretty much everything that happens in the sky, especially rainbows, but also especially when there is a light/dark contrast in clouds, and it's doubly spectacular if it's storm clouds and lightening!  I was in awe, and if I hadn't had a class I would have stood outside in the rain laced air all evening to enjoy it.  I soaked in the few minutes I could then went inside, and I noticed the peaceful and relaxed way I felt, which was notable considering I had a little anxiety about that particular class.

So, later I get home, I unwind with a quick scroll through Facebook and I see someone's photo of a rainbow, and then someone else's photo of a double rainbow! 'Really?!' I thought.  I missed out on rainbows?! Double rainbows!! But interestingly, immediately I realized something, and knew instantly it was a lesson to carry over to my fertility,  and life in general. I can get caught up thinking I am missing out on my idea of ideal, focusing on the unfairness that someone else got it and I didn't. Especially when it means so much to me. That feeling of missing out almost caused me to diminish the BEAUTIFUL sky I did get the blessing of enjoying!

Metaphorically, we're told to tolerate the storm because a rainbow will follow, and I did more than just tolerate, I reveled in that storm, without even expecting a rainbow! The sky I witnessed was inspiring and gave me a few moments of healing, no less than a rainbow would have done. It made me wonder, how many spectacular moments have I diminished in my life because it wasn't a baby, or something else I dream of?

Part of my desire to increase my mindfulness is to be more aware of how much I am blessed, to increase how much I recognize grace in my life, to increase joy. This is a good place to start, understanding those moments won't always look like typical blessings,  but that doesn't lessen the healing and joy I can receive from them, if only I will recognize them for what they are.


Save to Pinterest to bookmark this post for future reading.